GameBlast 2016


We're challenging you to organise your own gaming marathon with friends, colleagues or just by yourself - and get sponsored to do it! And by scheduling your gaming marathon over the weekend of 26-28 February, you’ll be part of GameBlast16, the UK’s biggest gaming for good event that will transform the lives of gamers with disabilities.

Last February you raised an incredible £120,000 in GameBlast15, and every penny and cent went towards levelling the playing field for gamers with disabilities. This time we're gunning for £150,000, so we're going to need all the help you can give. Come and join us, it's going to be a fantastic weekend!

Why GameBlast?

Thousands of people want to share your passion for video games, but their disabilities stop them playing any of the titles you're fanatical about. People like Ben, who lost a major part of his life when he lost the ability to play video games because of spinal muscular atrophy. But with our help, he's back in the game.

How your donations help

The sponsorship you raise through your GameBlast16 marathon will help us change the lives of many more people like Ben by bringing the fun and inclusivity of gaming back into their lives. It’ll let us visit people to find out exactly what they want to play, and what they need to play it. We'll then match, modify or create equipment to lend to them, and give support so they can get the best out of it.

Your GameBlast support is vital because we don’t charge for anything we do, and we don’t sell any equipment. We simply aim to do whatever it takes to raise the quality of life for everyone we work with.

We won't waste your money, either. Last year around 90% of your donations went directly into our frontline work with people with disabilities. The other 10% kept the charity running so that we could keep on doing what we do.

How can I get involved?

Everyone’s welcome to join in the fun. Get together with friends, family or colleagues and start planning your GameBlast16 weekend on 26-28 February 2016. We’ll have an online signup form ready for the end of summer, but in the meantime if you’d like to know more, just shout out to Mark or Barry on 01608 810055 or email

If you're part of a company, there are a limited number of GameBlast partnerships available. By joining with SpecialEffect as a GameBlast partner you'll be one of a select number of industry leaders who can truly say they are a frontrunner in helping more people with disabilities enjoy all the fun and inclusivity that video games have to offer.

Tell me more

Do I have to play for 24 hours?
Not necessarily. Your marathon is all about setting yourself a personal or team target that's going to attract sponsorship. 24 hours is great to aim for, but if you you could only manage 6 or 12 hours, that's just fine. Or you could take on a speed run.

What games can I play?
It’s your call! Play the games you love. Or some that you hate...

Do I have to play games at all?
GameBlast is a gaming for good event, and although the focus is on gaming marathons, we'd love you to join in with any kind of fundraising activity. Pub quizzes, cake sales, game donations - anything is possible!

Do I have to play in a team?
You can take part as an individual, although we’ve found that by playing as a team you’re likely to have more breaks, more fun and raise more money!

Is there an age limit?
No. We're helping disabled people of all ages to enjoy the benefits of gaming, so the the event is equally as inclusive. If you're under 16 though, we're asking that you let your parents or guardians know that you’re taking part, and encourage them to support you.

How do I fundraise?
You can fundraise through online donations by creating a JustGiving fundraising page for the event.

Can you help?
We're always more than happy to help with fundraising pointers where we can. Shout out to or call her on 01608 810055.

I’m busy that weekend. Can I still take part?
Absolutely. You can game anytime during February (or even anytime in 2016!). It's a challenge at your own convenience.

Last time at GameBlast…

Gamers from across the world took on gaming marathons of up to 48 hours last February and raised a staggering £120,000. As well as the hundreds of individuals and teams that took part, over 50 games companies backed the event including GAME, Ginx, Twitch, Jagex, SEGA, Bossa, KING, Gamer Network, Frontier, Team17, Radiant Worlds, Fragers and Insert Coin.

Mick Donegan, our CEO, said, “We are genuinely blown away by the huge amount of support that we’ve had from gamers and the gaming industry all over the world. Everyone who contributed will make a massive difference, changing the lives of hundreds of people with disabilities who can only watch everyone else experience the many benefits of video games. A huge, heartfelt thank you from all the SpecialEffect team.”

Join our mailing list

Copyright © SpecialEffect All Rights Reserved. Reg. Charity No: 1121004